Financial Assistance for Aged, Blind or Disabled Immigrants (Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants)

Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) is funded by the State of California. CAPI provides cash assistance to aged, blind, and disabled immigrants who are not eligible for the Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) Program due to their immigration status.

Are You Eligible?

If you are a non-citizen who is either 65 or older, blind, or disabled, you may be eligible for CAPI. Eligibility is based on income, property, residency, and SSI/SSP rules.

Once you apply a County Eligibility Worker will decide if you qualify.

  1. Complete & Submit Application
  2. Get an Interview – A phone or in person interview will be scheduled with a County Eligibility Worker.
  3. Paper documents may be needed if income, citizenship or other information cannot be verified electronically or is questionable. For a list of paper documents that could be needed view Commonly Used Verification Documents.
  4. Within 45 Days of the day you apply, you will get a Notice of Action (NOA) in mail. This will let you know if your CAPI application was approved or denied.
  5. If approved, you will receive an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card in mail. You may arrange through your County Eligibility Worker to pick up your EBT card at a County office.

Back to top

Using Your Benefits

Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card

To use your Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants benefits you will get a plastic EBT card, also known as the Golden State Advantage card. You can use it just like a debit or ATM card by entering a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). For security the PIN will be sent in a separate mailing, follow instructions to change PIN.

How to check your EBT card balance, buying history and places to use your EBT card;

Beware of EBT Theft and Scams

Protect yourself against scams, always keep your EBT card and PIN safe and secret. If you receive a text, email or phone call asking for your EBT card number or PIN, DO NOT provide your information, this is a SCAM!

If you have been a victim of stolen benefits: Report the theft to your county worker or 408-758-3800 within 10 days.

Watch EBT Scam Video

Places Where You Can Use Your EBT Card

You can use your EBT card at any store or ATM that displays the Quest mark, to find locations visit: CA EBT Locator

Some locations charge a fee for using your EBT card, find out how to Get Your Cash Benefits at NO Cost!

Back to top

Keeping Your Benefits

Regular Reporting

The County will send you a form in the mail once a year to report changes. These may be changes in your income, property or other factors that may affect your benefits. If you don't return the form your benefits will be stopped.

The County will schedule a phone or in-person interview once a year.

Account Maintenance

If your mailing address or phone number change, please contact your County Eligibility Worker.

Back to top

Things to Know

Frequently Asked Questions

    The amount of benefits is determined by a County Eligibility Worker and it varies depending on different factors such as: income, number of persons, your living arrangements, etc.

    Resources are looked at when determining eligibility, depending on their value. Some resources are not counted, for example the home you own and live in is not counted.

    Any income you have, including income from a job, will be considered, but you may still be eligible depending on the amount of that income.

    You may still apply for CAPI benefits if you are an immigrant sponsored into the United States. Sponsorship status must be verified.​

    You can receive CAPI while waiting for your SSI benefits to be approved. Your CAPI benefits will terminate once your SSI/SSP benefits are approved.

    If cash assistance is issued to you while your application for Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) is being processed, the county may recover money from your initial retroactive SSI/SSP payment once approved.

    There is no time limit on how long you may receive CAPI cash assistance if you continue to meet all the CAPI eligibility requirements.

    If you are out of the United States for 30 consecutive days or more, you are ineligible for CAPI, until you have been back in the U.S. for 30 consecutive days or more. You will need to make an appointment with your County Worker so they can review your passport to confirm.

    No. You don not have to pay back your CAPI cash assistance.

    If cash assistance is issued to you while your application for Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) is being processed, the county may recover money from your initial retroactive SSI/SSP payment once approved​.

    • Contact the County Worker that is handling your case. You will find their contact information of the top right corner of the last County Notice of Action (NOA).
    • If you are not satisfied with the response from your County Worker, ask to speak to a Supervisor.
    • If you are not satisfied with the response from a Supervisor;
    • You may request a free confidential case review from our County Ombudsman Office by emailing [email protected].


      You have a right to ask for Hearing. To request a Hearing, follow the instructions on the back side of the County NOA you received.

      Fill out the back of the NOA and send or take page to;
      Appeals Unit
      County of Santa Clara Social Services
      333 W Julian St.
      San Jose, CA 95110-2335


      Call 1-800-952-5253
      TDD for hearing or speech impaired 1-800-952-8349

    Connect with Us

    ©2024 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.